Saturday, May 12, 2007

The McGough Clan

Ok, this blog is supposed to be about my first life too, and all I've posted about so far is Second Life. It's almost 1 in the morning, my cat has the midnight crazies, and I can't sleep. I can't think of a better time to post about my first life :)

I have an uncommon last name. McGough. Its pronounced kinda like "mug you" . . . more or less. It is NOT pronounced like the blind cartoon character, Mr. Magoo. But most people pronounce it that way. I usually correct them, but I have devloped a sense of humor about it, as you can see by the URL for this blog.

One of the nice things about having an uncommon last name is tracing your geneology. I haven't ever done any geneology research, mainly because I didn't have to. My parents and grandparents did all that, I think, or maybe it all just kept getting passed down from generation to generation. Either way, I've known the names of my ancestors who first came to America for about as long as I can remember. Robert and Sarah Matilda Carson McGough. Some sources say er name was Mary instead of Sarah. Whatever . . . they came here in 1773, so a little confusion over a first name is understandable.

There are a couple of excellent websites covering McGough history. If you're a geneology buff (or a McGough) check them out.

www.magoo.com
www.clan-mcgough.com

The first one was created by Hugh McGough, who I am probably only very distantly related to. The second one is by Edward McGough, who is a less distant cousin, although I don't know exactly how we're related.

No comments: